August 16th through the 19th we will be having a very important Convention right here in Reno.
This is the perfect time to come out and get to know your fellow optimists and build some comradery.
Here is a link to the registration form: 4th District Meeting And Convention
Contact Jim Reynolds to make your reservations.
This is what we received from Tim Reardon, Governor of the Pacific Central District.
We are a little less than a month away from our 4th District Meeting & Convention, to be held August 16-19th in Reno. Please see the attached Registration form, get registered and plan to join us for our Optimist sponsored meals.
Our Reno headquarters, the Sure Stay Best Western Hotel is a great facility for our lodging, meetings and meals. They also provide shuttle service to take you downtown to the Casinos for your free time activities. We’ve also been trying to put together an Optimist group night for Friday Aug 17th to see the Harrah’s show “Hot Jersey Nights,” a Frankie Valli, Beach Boys tribute show. At this time it does not look like we can secure a group of seats, so if you are interested in going, please google ‘Harrah’s Reno Shows’ to find a way purchase a ticket for the show at 7:30 pm.
As previously mentioned, will be inducting our new District Officers for the 2018-19 Optimist year, including Dave Givens as Governor for the Pacific Central District and Sophia Scherman as Governor Elect. We also will be having training for District Lt. Governors, Club Presidents and Club Secretary-Treasurers. Incoming Club Officers it is important you attend the training and talk to other members, to help you better serve your Club next year.
We also encourage all members, particularly if you are new to Optimism, to join us to meet and learn from our Optimist International representative, 2018-19 OI Vice-President Edie Harris. She is Canadian and comes highly recommended as an excellent trainer and as a very accomplished Optimist. I have spoken to Edie and she is looking forward to meeting all of you, leading our training and to giving us a summary of the Optimist International Convention that was just concluded in Ottawa.
PLEASE CALL AND MAKE YOUR ROOM RESERVATION TODAY!!! The cutoff date for for our room rate guarantee is August 3rd. Added bonus: Most people I heard from have gotten a lower room rate than the $99 rate we have published, so call today!
We want every Club represented in Reno, so talk to your club members, make your travel plans and get registered today. We need your full participation, including joining us for our Optimist reserved meals, to make our meeting beneficial to all who attend and financially successful, as we move into the next Optimist year.
Here is is an updated schedule of events:
Thursday, Aug 16
6:00pm – Finance Committee Mtg
Friday, Aug 17
10:00am – Executive Committee Meeting
11:00am – Town Hall – Sharing Club Membership/Fundraising ideas & programs
12:00pm – Lunch on your own
2:00-4:00pm – General Session
Saturday, Aug 18th
8:30am – Friendship & Old-Timers Breakfast
9:30-11:00am – President/ Lt. Governor Training
10:00am – Presentation: FIRST Lego League/Junior Optimist Clubs – Dee Frewert, Reno Optimist Club
11:00am-12pm – Secretary Treasurer Training
12:30pm – Country BBQ Luncheon
2:00-4:00pm – Convention Session
4:00pm – 2nd Annual Max Fountain Car Race
7:00pm – Governor’s Banquet Buffet
Sunday, August 19th
9:00am – Breakfast/ OI Foundation & Childhood Cancer Raffles
In addition to these agenda items, we will have each afternoon/evening our Hospitality Suite, hosted by the Reno Optimist Club!
Thanks to our great hosts, the Reno Optimist Club and thank you for all that each of you do for Optimism, I look forward to seeing you in Reno. You’ll be glad you came!
Pacific Central District
Details for our Hospitality Room
- The Hospitality Room will be in room # 274. It is a large suite; HOWEVER, THE BAR AREA WILL BE SMALL]
- MONDAY,6 August is the extended deadline for hotel reservations.
- FRIDAY,10 August is the deadline to give the hotel a headcount for meals so they can prepare.
- TUESDAY, 14 August is the deadline to give the hotel the number of riders to Harrahs for the Hot Jersey Nights show.
- Thursday, 16 August; need help for Joan Estepa and Shirley Jimenez (Approx. 3 PM and 5 PM)
- Saturday, 17 August; Randy will host Reno club party in Room #374 from 6-7 PM
- Very nice menus are being prepared for our meals.
- All AV support has been confirmed with the hotel.
- The hotel has a bar that opens at 4 PM.
- Meeting rooms have been confirmed.
- We will have a secured room with a key available for the OIF and CCP raffle items.
We also need to Confirm
- Headcount on the hotel room reservations and for meals from Richard
- Coordinate with Mr. Palmer to provide trailer status ASAP so we can replenish, etc.
- PCD registration will be in Hotel Lobby
- If possible, a number of blocked tickets for the Hot Jersey Nights show on Friday night.
This will be an exciting event for all of us.